Father’s Day – A Holiday for All the Dads
Father’s Day is the special day when we honor fathers, grandfathers, great-grandfathers, and all other father figures in our lives for their valuable contribution.
It is a time to recognize the men that have influenced our lives, and we do that in ways similar to those of Mother’s Day.
When Is Fathers Day?
Fathers are honored on different dates depending on which part of the globe you are in.
In the United States and the United Kingdom, it is observed on the third Sunday of June. But in South Korea, for example, both parents are celebrated on May 8.
The History of Father’s Day
The history of this holiday is a young one, not even a hundred years old. This unique celebration started in the 20th century in the United States. It was established to complement Mother’s Day and recognize the importance of fatherhood.
There are a few events that have inspired the creation of Father’s Day. It is believed that it all started with a memorial service held in 1908 for a group of men who were killed in a mining accident in West Virginia. Many of those men were fathers.
An influential figure in the creating of Father’s Day was a woman called Sonora Smart Dodd. She heard about Mother’s Day and believed that fathers should have a holiday of their own as well. She took inspiration from her father, who raised six children by himself. In 1909 she told her pastor about the idea, and the local clergyman agreed. The first celebration was held on June 19, 1910.
In 1973, Father’s Day was officially recognized by President Nixon.
How do People Celebrate?
Because it is such a modern holiday, traditions differ, and each family celebrates in its own way. Children often make phone calls to greet their parents with “Happy Fathers Day!”, or give cards, gifts, and take their dads out for breakfast, lunch, brunch, or dinner. Some throw parties inviting all father figures in their lives as a way to spend quality time together.
Prior to Father’s Day, many schools hold special crafts classes where they teach children how to create a handmade card or symbolic gifts for their fathers.
As for other parts of the world, some nations make it even more fun. In Germany, this day is known as Vatertag (Father’s Day) or Mannertag ( Men’s Day). In certain regions, it is accustomed that groups of men go into the woods with alcoholic drinks (mostly beer) and meat to party.
Father’s Day Gifts Ideas
Children often show appreciation by making gifts fit for men, such as electronic gadgets, tickets to sports games, household tools, or sports attire.
Here are a few ideas to help you pick the best Father’s Day gift for dad:
- Men love meat, and they often take it upon themselves to cook the delicious food. Go to Amazon and check out the MEAT: Everything You Need to Know cookbook by the well-known author Pat LaFrieda.
- Help your loved one stay fit and healthy with the VonShef Professional Powerful Wide Mouth Whole Fruit Juicer. Homemade juice has many health benefits.
- Give your father a good laugh with Sick in the Head: Conversations About Life and Comedy by Judd Apatow. It’s a highly appreciated book among comedy fans.
- You can’t go wrong with a belt; all men have at least one in their closet. Check out this classic belt from TannerGoods made of quality English bridle leather.
- How about going for this fantastic BBQ Briefcase to complement the cookbook we’ve just shown you? It contains twenty stainless steel utensils perfect for a grill master.
- Dad’s a geek? These Math Glasses will win him over. Each glass includes an expanded formula that will thrill those passionate about numbers.
- With this Southern Bourbon Stout Beer Brewing Kit, the father figure in your life will start to enjoy spending time in the kitchen. The kit will turn any man into a skilled brewer.
- Popcorn goes hand in hand with movies, and we all love films. This Microwave Popcorn Popper is made of borosilicate glass, and can be filled with corn and then microwaved without using oil.
- Fan of Jules Verne? Surprise your father with this one of a kind Steampunk Coffee Grinder. This unique coffee grinder will brighten up your dad’s morning just by looking at it.
Happy Fathers Day Images
Now that we’ve gone through some of the most spectacular gifts on the Internet how about finding the perfect Father’s day card to accompany them?
- Check out Moonpig’s cards for some of the funniest greeting cards out there on the Web. It’s easy to find the ideal one because they are put into categories, and you can quickly browse through all cards.
- Go to Funkypigeon and search through a wide selection of cards. You can even create your own if you to make your greeting more personal.
- AmericanGreetings offers many printable cards that allow you to customize your Father’s Day card and print it in just a few minutes. Choose a from whatever style you want – funny, sentimental, or traditional – and then make it special by writing your own message.
Children must take the opportunity provided by Father’s Day and express gratitude for their loved ones. Whatever way you choose to express your unconditional love and affection towards your father or a father figure will be highly appreciated.